Nelson Mandela Shares Three Leadership Lessons - Ordinary People, Ordinary Day

Breaking

Random Posts

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Nelson Mandela Shares Three Leadership Lessons

Nelson Mandela had been one of the great leaders of our time and I would like to share some thoughts from him which I received from my e-mail through the Generation Peace Nework of GenPease. In this inspiration Mendela talks about three things: Speak the Truth, Accepting responsibility and Leadership.

1. Speak the truth.

"I try not to be a rabble rouser. People want things explained to them clearly and rationally. They recognize when someone is speaking to them seriously. They want to see how you handle difficult situations and whether or not you stay calm".

2. Accept your responsibility as a leader --- let your light shine.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure....Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightenning about shrinking, so that other people won't feel insecure around you...As we let our light shine, we unconsciously give others permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

3. Leadership is a lifetime journey.

"I have walked that long road to freedom. I have tried not to falter; I have made missteps along the way. But I have discovered the secret that after climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are so many more hills to climb. I have taken a moment here to rest, to steal a view of the glorious vista that surrounds me, to look back on the distance I have come. But I can rest only for a moment, for with freedom comes responsibilities, and I dare not linger, for my long walk is not yet ended."

No comments:

Post Top Ad