Celebrate Father's Day with a Father's Day Poem for your Dad - Ordinary People, Ordinary Day

Breaking

Random Posts

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Celebrate Father's Day with a Father's Day Poem for your Dad

Father's Day is a celebration inaugurated in the early twentieth century to complement Mother's Day in celebrating fatherhood and male parenting, and to honor and commemorate fathers and forefathers. Father's Day is celebrated on a variety of dates worldwide and typically involves gift-giving, special dinners to fathers, and family-oriented activities. In 2008, it was celebrated on June 15 in many countries. In 2009, it will be celebrated on June 14th in many countries.

The first observance of Father's Day is believed to have been held on July 5, 1908 in a church located in Fairmont, West Virginia, by Dr. Robert Webb of West Virginia at the Central United Methodist Church of Fairmont.

T celebrate this years occasion here are some great Father's Day poems which you can give to your father and don't forget to make it special...

Daddy, I Love You

Daddy, I love you
For all that you do.

I'll kiss you and hug you
'Cause you love me, too.

You feed me and need me
To teach you to play.

So smile 'cause I love you
On this Father's Day.


Before I Was Myself, You Made Me, Me

Before I was myself you made me, me
With love and patience, discipline and tears,
Then bit by bit stepped back to set me free,
Allowing me to sail upon my sea,
Though well within the headlands of your fears.
Before I was myself you made me, me

With dreams enough of what I was to be
And hopes that would be sculpted by the years,
Then bit by bit stepped back to set me free,

Relinquishing your powers gradually
To let me shape myself among my peers.
Before I was myself you made me, me,

And being good and wise, you gracefully
As dancers when the last sweet cadence nears
Bit by bit stepped back to set me free.

For love inspires learning naturally:
The mind assents to what the heart reveres.
And so it was through love you made me, me
By slowly stepping back to set me free.


Perhaps we'll never understand each other

Perhaps we'll never understand each other.
Loving doesn't mean that we agree.
If that were so, then I would say, why bother?
But there are things I know I'll never see.
I'm sure your heart knows what I don't yet know:
The pain of loving a reluctant son;
The anger, coming fast and building slow,
Of being helpless to control someone.
You want only that I grow up right,
But you know what right is, and I still don't.
I have to learn to wield my inner light,
And if I follow yours, well, then I won't.
I'm sorry for the anger in the air;
Though we fight, my love is always there.


Happy Father's Day

A Dad is a person
who is loving and kind,
And often he knows
what you have on your mind.
He's someone who listens,
suggests, and defends.
A dad can be one
of your very best friends!
He's proud of your triumphs,
but when things go wrong,
A dad can be patient
and helpful and strong
In all that you do,
a dad's love plays a part.
There's always a place for him
deep in your heart.
And each year that passes,
you're even more glad,
More grateful and proud
just to call him your dad!
Thank you, Dad...
for listening and caring,
for giving and sharing,
but, especially, for just being you!
Happy Father's Day.


Labor Of Love
A ready made family was by chance
Inevitable
By our labor of love romance
A husband, a father, a friend
In this great life that has no end
'Tis but a journey; this circle of life
The joys of children and of wife
With stories told, you watched them play
From winters snow to summers day
With their coats and trousers hung on a hook
Their pockets bulging out fat at the seem
A marble, a comb, a map, a pocketbook
Shared treasures of a little boys dream
The shoes of a Father you do fill
Not for fame or fortune; Only your goodwill
With guidance and love they see all you do
The little child in themselves is in you too
As the hours, days, years go by
On your loving ways we do rely
In this great circle of life
A husband, a Father ,A friend
Our love for you knows no end.

By Julie Atwood


The things you taught me

The things you taught me I will always know.
How could I not? The roots have sunk so deep:
All lessons of the heart that I will keep
No matter who I am or where I go.
Kids learn from what their parents are, and so
You are my book of life, the thoughts I reap;
Only in your arms I quiet sleep;
Under my words your voice sings soft and slow.
From you I learned the rules of right and wrong
Against which I at times had to rebel,
Though with regret I carry with me still.
How lucky I am to have been loved so well,
Even as I pushed against your will,
Relying on a father fair and strong


For You I Feel an Overwhelming Love

For you I feel an overwhelming love,
All the more because you're far away.
Though all the continents of Earth may move,
Here is my love, and here my love will stay.
Each time I feel my fortune go adrift,
Realities like rocks poised in my way,
'Ere I feel that fearful, shuddering rift,
Some memory of you holds them at bay.
Dad, your love can still my heart uplift;
After all these years, my spirits sway;
Your strength and courage still my fears remove.


Grandfathers Are Fathers Who Are Grand

Grandfathers are fathers who are grand,
Restoring the sense that our most precious things
Are those that do not change much over time.
No love of childhood is more sublime,
Demanding little, giving on demand,
Far more inclined than most to grant the wings
Allowing us to reach enchanted lands.
Though grandfathers must serve as second fathers,
Helping out with young and restless hearts,
Each has all the patience wisdom brings,
Remembering our passions more than others,
Soothing us with old and well-honed arts.


Grandfathers Are the Mountains We Call Home

Grandfathers are the mountains we call home:
Rugged, rock-faced remnants of our souls,
Alps far grander than our hills and knolls,
Now sheltering the fields through which we roam.
Dare we understand what they have been:
Fathers of the children of our dreams?
As we knew them, bathing in their streams,
They were the wakers of the gods within.
How beautiful they stand, though far away!
Each the guardian of a long lost child,
Reached alone by those whose love has smiled
So happily it danced right through their day.


I Miss You, but I Cannot Make You Miss Me

I miss you, but I cannot make you miss me.
I need you, but you do not know my need.
I want you, but I cannot make you kiss me.
I suffer, but I cannot make you bleed.
I beseech you, but you will not be beguiled.
The door's locked, and you will not let me in.
You're my mother*, but I cannot be your child.
I've lost you, and I can't take back my sin.
Like an earth no longer with its sun,
Shooting towards eternity alone,
I no longer circle anyone,
An aimless, mindless, wandering piece of stone.
Ah, Mother*! It would be so sad if we
Would journey through to darkness separately.
*"father" if to a father


I Wait upon the Love That Waits for Me

I wait upon the love that waits for me
Unknowing as I grow within the womb,
The creature of an unheard harmony
Between the voices of my dawn and doom.
Half of me is you: how strange! Yet more
Uncanny is the fact that we are two.
I live within a room whose only door
For good or ill must open onto you.
Be there for me, father*, in your heart,
As I for you will be the child you will.
Play with all your love the father's* part,
And I will with my love your dreams fulfill.
I will rebel, of course, but pay no mind:
Years of love will stand against the wind.
*(For a mother, change to "mother" and "mother's.")


I Want to Say How Proud I Am of You

I want to say how proud I am of you
That you have broken free of your addiction.
It's something I don't know that I could do
Were I so sorely tried by your affliction.
My years of growing up were on my own,
As you were in the belly of your beast,
The two of us indifferent and alone,
Most in need of love while loving least.
How sad! That you and I have lost those years:
I, of childhood, and you, of your only child.
But now's the time for joy and not for tears,
For you are well, and we are reconciled.
Whatever life may bring or time may prove,
Know that you will always have my love.


To My Man on Father's Day

To my man on Father's Day,
On whom my life depends,
My children's cheerful champion:
You are where yearning ends.
My paramour and harlequin,
All I want, and all I can
Not want and be OK.


To the Father of My Children

To the father of my children:
Open up your willing heart!
Take what music I can give you,
Hearing, too, my silent song.
Even as, arrayed in passion,
Finding love, I play my part,
A wonder like a wind whips through me,
Truth unknown for which I long.
How beautiful, this unspent yearning,
Ever for the darkness burning,
Rising like a summer storm!


To Be a Good Father, What Must One Do?

To be a good father, what must one do?
First one must love, as the sun warms the Earth,
Nourishing those to whom it gave birth
With radiant pleasure and joy ever new.
And what then, my father, must a good father do?
Then one must give of oneself, as a rill
Flings itself carelessly down a steep hill
To fill up a hollow with heaven's sweet hue.

What next, my father, must a good father do?
Next one must gird up one's loins to protect
Those who might suffer from want and neglect
Were one not loyal, and to one's vow true.

Is there anything else a good father must do?
Yes, there is much more that cannot be said,
Addressed to the heart and not to the head
Of one who desires that passion to view.
But ah!, my dear father, that one is not you!


Even Though We've Lived Apart

Even though we've lived apart,
I do not love you less.
There's provision in the heart
For storing tenderness.
There's a love that like a star
Must reconfigure space
To turn the far-flung wanderers
Towards some predestined grace.

Time matters not, nor pain, nor death,
Nor fate as hard as stone.
This truth needs but a single breath,
And that we now have known.

Ah, Father! What a joy to live
With love at last expressed!
Life has no greater gift to give
Than that with which we're blessed.



Also Visit My Other Blogs
| Pagod Ka Na Bang Maging si Juan? | Newz Around Us |

No comments:

Post Top Ad